Rosh Hashana Apple Cake Recipe
This outstanding recipe is great for everyday or holidays, especially Rosh Hashana!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 cups apples (3-4 large apples), peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- -1 tsp cinnamon with 1 tbsp sugar for topping (this is optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom or vegetable oil.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt into a small bowl.
- Cream the butter, oil, sugar and vanilla in a medium-size mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until the ingredients are blended, about 2 minutes. Stop to scrape the bowl twice with a rubber spatula.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix on medium low speed after each addition until blended, 10 seconds. Scrape the bowl each time. Once the eggs are added, mix again for 10 seconds.
- Add half the dry ingredients and blend on low for 15 seconds. Scrape the bowl, add the rest of the dry ingredients, and mix on low speed until blended, about 5 seconds more.
- Add the apples with a few turns of the mixer or by folding them in by hand with wooden spoon.
- Spoon the batter into the pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar over the top. Bake the cake on the center oven rack until the top is firm and golden and a tester inserted at the cake's highest point comes out dry, about 1 hour 5 minutes.
Makes 12-16 servings