Passover Charoset Recipe: Haroset from Suriname
- 7 oz package unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 ½ cups raisins
- 1 ½ cups dried apples
- 1 ½ cups prunes
- 1 ½ cups dried apricots
- 1 ½ cups dried pears
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup cherry jam
- Sweet red wine
- Combine in saucepan all ingredients except cherry jam and wine. Add enough cold water to just cover fruit. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally, and adding more water if necessary.
- Remove from heat; stir in cherry jam. Set aside to cool.
- Add just enough sweet red wine to be absorbed by the fruit. Refrigerate until well chilled.
Makes about 9 cups
Source: Hadassah Jewish Holiday Cookbook