Challah, Banana & Nutella Napolean
In June 2009, NPR held a contest asking for great dessert recipes that can be grilled on an outdoor grill; charcoal, wood or gas. The winning recipe, submitted by Cheryl Bryant of Winter Park, Florida includes challah and is truly decadent!
Judges Note: We were drawn to this recipe because challah toast absorbs the flavor of the grill very well. Warming the Nutella layer while toasting the second side is a nice touch, too. It's a pretty presentation and can be made easily in a short amount of time — plus it can be a template for many other kinds of fillings.
- 2 bananas
- 6 slices of challah bread
- Nutella or other chocolate-hazelnut spread
- Take two not-too-mushy bananas and slice in half crosswise, then cut halves lengthwise. Sprinkle with sugar and a modicum of cinnamon.
- Grill bananas for a few minutes until marked with a nice brown color and warm throughout. Remove to a cutting board and slice into chunks.
- Take challah and cut each slice into a circle with a large biscuit cutter or a large-mouthed glass jar.
- Spread a thin coat of butter on each side of the bread and toast on grill until nicely browned on first side.
- Remove from grill and spread a generous amount of Nutella on the toasted side of four of the pieces of bread. Place all six slices of bread back on grill and toast the untoasted sides.
- When browned, remove from grill and place banana chunks on top of Nutella. Spoon whipped cream on top of the banana, then assemble layers into two three-tier "cakes" with the naked toast placed on top.