- 1 ¾ cups granulated or brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter or unsalted Passover margarine (melted and cooled)
- 3 eggs
- ¾ tablespoon brewed coffee
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 scant cup matzo cake meal
- ¼ cup finely chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
2/3 cup water or brewed coffee
6-7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped2 tablespoons unsalted butter or Passover
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square pan or 7x10-inch rectangular pan.
2. BROWNIES: In a bowl, mix sugar into the melted butter, then add eggs, cocoa, salt, cake meal and toasted walnuts (optional).
3. Spoon the batter into the greased pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes. Do not overbake (brownies should be set, but there should not be a crust around edges). Cool brownies in pan.
4. FROSTING: Heat water (or coffee) in small saucepan. Bring water to boil, reduce heat and stir in chopped chocolate. Remove pan from heat and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool in refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes. Whisk in softened butter or margarine and spread frosting on top of cooled brownies. Cut into squares.