Challah, Banana & Nutella Napolean
In June 2009, NPR held a contest asking for great dessert recipes that can be grilled on an outdoor grill; charcoal, wood or gas. The winning recipe, submitted by Cheryl Bryant of Winter Park, Florida includes challah and is truly decadent!2 bananas
6 slices of challah bread
Nutella or other chocolate-hazelnut spread
Judges Note: We were drawn to this recipe because challah toast absorbs the flavor of the grill very well. Warming the Nutella layer while toasting the second side is a nice touch, too. It's a pretty presentation and can be made easily in a short amount of time — plus it can be a template for many other kinds of fillings.
1. Take two not-too-mushy bananas and slice in half crosswise, then cut halves lengthwise. Sprinkle with sugar and a modicum of cinnamon.
2. Grill bananas for a few minutes until marked with a nice brown color and warm throughout. Remove to a cutting board and slice into chunks.
3. Take challah and cut each slice into a circle with a large biscuit cutter or a large-mouthed glass jar.
4. Spread a thin coat of butter on each side of the bread and toast on grill until nicely browned on first side.
5. Remove from grill and spread a generous amount of Nutella on the toasted side of four of the pieces of bread. Place all six slices of bread back on grill and toast the untoasted sides.
6. When browned, remove from grill and place banana chunks on top of Nutella. Spoon whipped cream on top of the banana, then assemble layers into two three-tier "cakes" with the naked toast placed on top.
Copyright 2009, Challah Connection